Sale or Rental Castle in idyllic location
Around 3752 WalkensteinRequest price
- 3.300 m²
More details
About this house
Walkenstein's history goes back to 1074. After it passed from the possession of the Babenbergs to the Kuenringer toward the end of the 13th century, Johann Ehrenreich Freiherr von Sonnau und Reichersberg had the castle built in its present form between 1660 and 1671.
In 1890 a cold-water spa was established, in which in 1904 about 40 rooms were available.
The early Baroque castle with a floor area of approximately 3,500 m² sits on a 1.5 hectare park. Four two-storey wings form a large rectangular courtyard, on the east and west sides of which groined round-arched arcades rest on prismatic piers. The western wing is dominated by a square tower with a pyramidal roof, a cross and a finial. Below the tower is the main portal framed by pilasters. In the east wing there is a chapel in need of renovation. The three-part beam framework and the broken segmental gable above bear an inscription plate, which recalls Johann Ehrenreich Freiherr von Sonnau und Reichersberg and an asymmetrical cartouche with the double coat of arms of the Geras Abbey and Abbot Paul Gratschmayr. From the original Baroque garden layout remains a terrace on the south side of the castle, below which there is a large, walled garden and from which a Baroque, two-flight staircase with balustrade remnants leads to the castle. The building is served by a central heating system and is connected to the local water and sewer system. The roof, newly erected in 1986, is in good condition.
The area and spaces
Exterior areas
- The garden with the view terrace
- The courtyard
- Parking spaces and garages
Rooms
- Banquet hall
- Old stables
- The chapel
- Vaults
- Fireplace room
- Babenberger Trakt
- Rooms for open use
Exterior areas
- The garden with the view terrace
- The courtyard
- Parking spaces and garages
The garden with the view terrace
In the generous level garden on the south slope of the castle, the panorama over the Lower Austrian hilly landscape, fields and forests unfolds. The garden is bordered along its length by a historic stone wall and is accessible via an exterior staircase from the fireplace room. Open on both sides, one can reach either directly the main entrance of the castle or the small orchard.
Parking spaces and garages
The garages offer ample space for up to 12 cars or various storage possibilities. There are also parking spaces for a further 12–16 cars. This area is directly drivable from the back of the castle and you can reach the castle courtyard from the parking spaces and garages through a gate.
Rooms
- Banquet hall
- Old stables
- The chapel
- Vaults
- Dining room
- Fireplace room
- Open-use rooms
- The Babenberger Trakt
Banquet hall
Through a staircase one reaches the spectacular banquet hall, the upper part of the north wing, which opens to 108.30 m². The balanced symmetrical layout of the hall with the classical window fronts on both long sides provides a sun-filled room; the size allows many variations of use, it is accessible from 2 sides and leads to the east and west arcade passages.
Old stables
The old stables with their impressive vaults offer a ground-level usable area of 276.05 m².
The chapel
This room is characterized by its historical frescoes and vaulted ceilings. Through the window one sees fields and wide expanses.
Vaults
The vaults, once part of an important cold-water spa of the turn of the century, impress with their size and architecture and also offer multiple use possibilities.
Dining room
The traditional dining salon is well preserved in its original state and invites elegant dining and music making.
Open-use rooms
Also the other rooms of the castle, which together cover a total area of about 1,270 m², leave every possible use open. They can also be arranged, after renovation/upgrade, immediately as units for living, offices, practice, etc., to take on functions.
The Babenberger Trakt
The interesting, historically most significant part of the castle is unmatched in its uniqueness and stands as a one-of-a-kind in connection with the castle. This wing can also be reached via the courtyard as well as via the parking facilities.
Note according to the Energy Certificate Submission Act: An energy certificate has not yet been presented by the owner or seller, after our clarification about the generally applicable submission obligation, as well as the request to prepare it. Therefore at least a total energy efficiency appropriate to the age and type of building is deemed agreed. We do not warrant or assume liability for the actual energy efficiency of the offered property.
We would like to point out that there is a familial or economic close relationship between the broker and the third party to be brokered.
Here you have the opportunity to contribute and realize your own ideas
The history
Walkenstein's
goes back to 1074.
I would be happy to explain this to you in a personal conversation at
Tel. 06648775410
Udo Bereswill
Description
History
Walkenstein was in 1074 owned by the Babenbergs,
toward the end of the 13th century the Kuenringer are named as owners
and between 1265
and 1324 a noble family named Walkenstein took the ownership as a fief from the Kuenringer,
Johann Ehrenreich Freiherr von Sonnau und Reichersberg
between 1660 and 1671 had the castle built in its present form, which after several changes of owners according to the purchase contract of 8. November 1760 became the property of the Stift Geras under Abbot Paul Gratschmayer, which initially used it as a manor. Abt Adrian Lambert Zach, who sought to place Stift Geras on a broader economic basis, established here in 1890 a cold-water spa. Originally 30 rooms were available for spa guests; in 1904 a formal expansion of the spa to later 40 rooms was approved.
Main part 17th c.
Subpart 9th c.
Castle Walkenstein, Walkenstein 1, 3752 Walkenstein Page 3
Description
The early Baroque castle from the 17th century lies on a 1.3 hectare large, slightly elevated property in the south of Walkenstein (Lower Austria).
The historic building facing Kainreith is located in immediate proximity to the local parish church, creating a beautiful overall ambiance.
Four single-story wings form a large rectangular courtyard of 36.1 × 26.3 meters, on whose east and west sides there are groined round-arched arcades over pilasters. The west wing is dominated by a square tower with a domed roof, cross and finial. Beneath the tower is the main portal framed by pilasters. In the east wing there is a chapel in need of renovation.
The three-part beam and the broken segmental gable above bear an inscription plaque, which recalls Johann Ehrenreich Freiherr von Sonnau und Reichersberg as well as an asymmetrical cartouche with the double coat of arms of the Stift Geras and of Abbot Paul Gratschmayr.
From the original Baroque garden layout remains one of the south side of the castle forecourt, below which is a large, walled garden and from which a Baroque, two-flight staircase with balustrade remnants leads to the castle. The building is supplied by a central heating and is connected to the local water- and canal system. The roof, erected anew in 1986, is in good condition.
Main part 17th c.
Subpart 9th c.
Around 3752
Walkenstein
Key information
Amenities
- Parking
Total monthly cost
Request to know the price
About your broker
A second look
Ask Udo directly
Udo knows this place inside out!
Udo usually responds within a few hours.